Author Topic: Dog-Proofing with Painted Glass  (Read 224 times)

Offline Vonna

• Keeping my gratitude higher than my expectations
    • VonnaCarter.com
Dog-Proofing with Painted Glass
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:25 AM »
Ok, not glass, but plastic from cheap poster frames. My dog has had a traumatic couple of years and she shows this by being highly reactive to other dogs. I needed a way to keep her from freaking out when she sees another dog being walked down the street. The dog trainer and the vet recommended frosted film on the windows, but I've used that stuff before and it ruined my windows, so I came up with another plan. I bought cheap poster frames that fit my windows from Hobby Lobby while they were on sale 50% off, and a selection of Gallery Glass paints and leading. I am a complete amateur at this, so I found a couple of pictures of stained glass birds on the internet and adjusted them to fit my needs. The fields are filled with frosted paint so the dog can't see through it but it still lets the light in. I put the finished pieces in the windows with the painted side against the glass, so if my dog scratched them, she would not rip off the paint. I'm pleased with the results, but I need to find a classier way of sticking them to the window than just Scotch Tape.

Offline Verla Kay

• Chief Administrator
  • Administrator
  • New Poster
    • Verla Kay Creations
Re: Dog-Proofing with Painted Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Wow! Those turned out so beautiful, Vonna. What a great idea. I can't think of a permanent solution for you, but are you using double-sided Scotch Tape to hold the panels onto the glass? Unlike regular tape, it would at least be under the plastic and shouldn't show as much.

Hopefully, someone else will have a better solution for you. :eyeballs
Verla Kay - Crafter and Children's Author
http://www.verlakay.com

Offline Verla Kay

• Chief Administrator
  • Administrator
  • New Poster
    • Verla Kay Creations
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Here's another idea. What about getting small Command hooks and painting them black or dark brown so they don't show on the woodwork and attaching the panels to the hooks with thin wires? It's another possibility....

Offline Vonna

• Keeping my gratitude higher than my expectations
    • VonnaCarter.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Verla! The pieces aren't quite as wide as the windows, so whatever I use will have to stick to the glass. I'll look into the small Command Hooks. Little suction cups might work, but I'm afraid if there's a gap between the plastic and the glass, Shimmer will be able to rip it off the window too easily. So far, she hasn't tried though. She seems disgusted when she looks at them, likes she knows I put them there just to ruin her fun.

Offline Verla Kay

• Chief Administrator
  • Administrator
  • New Poster
    • Verla Kay Creations
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 06:57 PM »
Your dog, Shimmer, sounds like she has an awesome personality. Wish I could meet her in person some day (like I got to meet you in Florida)!